Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Fondue Night. by violet

Right on schedule it was time for my monthly dinner with Cathy. While she and I met up for happy hour at Palomino we also scheduled a Top Chef Finale viewing and fondue party at our place with J.

Have I mentioned before that Cathy is amazing? Oh, yes? Well she is. She showed up with fixins for two kinds of fondue. We had cheddar beer and Swiss with white wine.


The cheeses

There was bread, apples, carrots, zucchinis, mushrooms, cucumbers, broccoli and sausage.


The spread

We sipped on wine and devoured the cheese. While sharing a meal is definitely a communal thing, there’s something even more so about fondue. Perhaps it harkens back to a time when we really did sit around a fire together cooking whatever had been hunted or foraged that day.

Some may say it’s an “cheesy” (ha!) 70s trend. But I thoroughly enjoy it. First off, there’s cheese involved so you know I love it. Second, you can bring in a bunch of different things to dip from veggies to bread that variety keeps things interesting.

Now I’ve been a big fan of Top Chef for awhile now and rarely do I ever feel what I’m eating measures up. While is certainly wasn’t Michael’s squab with mushroom puree, the fondue was certainly up for the occasion.

Thanks for Cathy and J. for a lovely evening. Can’t wait to do it again.

1 comment:

  1. OMG the fondues look amazing! I will have to discuss the recipes with Cathy during our monthly lunch next week!

    ReplyDelete