Wednesday, June 3, 2009

summer concerts are the new black. by violet.

there really isn't much better than seeing your favorite musician perform under the stars on a hot summer night, cold beer in hand, swaying back and forth... it is the quintessential summer experience! Seattle has amazing line-ups for the millions of great venues and festivals this season- it's been quite the chore to narrow it down between Bumbershoot, the Gorge, Zoo Tunes, White River, Chateau Ste Michelle, Marymoor, on and on... but I've managed. Here are the top 3 I WILL attend in all their summer glory:


1. Every since I was little, my parents used to blast "Nick of Time" on road trips and to this day- I know all the words to every single Bonnie Raitt song. She is my music idol. She is a blues goddess. I cannot wait for this show with Taj Mahal!!! Labor Day weekend at Chateau Ste Michelle winery, general admission is only $50. If you've never been to a show there, it is a MUST. You walk in, throw a blanket down, buy a few bottles of their wine, enjoy a picnic, watch the sunset and MAGIC happens.

2. A few summers ago, I hit my very first country fest at Qwest Field- Kenny Chesney, Sugarland, Sara Evans, Brooks and Dunn and me, in a cowboy hat. I was completely enamored with the crowd, the performers, the sunset, the beer, everything! This summer will be a repeat performance of sorts with Kenny and friends and I cannot wait! August 1st, Qwest. $20 for nosebleed and $50 for second-place nosebleed. Let me tell you, it doesn't even matter how far away you are. It's all about the atmosphere! And Sugarland live might just change your life.

3. Seattle's most popular music festival, Bumbershoot, happens Labor Day Weekend as well. I'm having a moral dillema, as Raphael Saadiq (my current music crush) is also performing on Sunday, September 6th, same as Bonnie. What's a girl to do? Luckily, Bumbershoot's line up is jam-packed with stellar artists like Eric Hutchinson, Brett Dennen, Low vs Diamond, Franz Ferdinand, local fave Handful of Luvin', and the best funk/soul band ever: Black Joe Lewis & The Honey Bears. I think I'll be ok.

So, Seattle. Get out there, pick some good shows to hit and I'll see you there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment