Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Coming to Port. by violet

One of the trends I have been loving this spring and summer is the return of the Sperry Top-Sider. Once reserved for preppy kids (like Steff from Pretty In Pink) and New England sailors has been adopted by hipsters from Brooklyn to Portland. I love when classic American pieces like this make a comeback. The hipsters have seen to it that Ray-Bans, plaid shirts, Levi’s, Converse and Fedoras have made their way back into the main stream once again.


Growing up, I was always attracted to the preppy look. The coolest kids in high school were the preps. Seriously it was the Outsiders, we had greasers too. So I have this strange nostalgia for it.


I’ve been trying to save pennies because J.P. and I will be attending five weddings between now and October, (oh, don’t worry my 7 bloggie friends, you will hear all about each and every one of them). But I could not resist buying a pair of Top-Siders as a flip flop alternative.

I went with the classic light brown to ensure I could wear them with most anything. So far I’ve stuck to wearing them with cuffed, boyfriend jeans with tanks and cardigans. But I’m thinking about branching out a little bit more – maybe with skirt for that ultra-preppy look. Or shorts and a plaid shirt for that dirty hipster look. The best accessory to pair with them? Ray-Bans, obviously.


Violet in black, peep toe Steve Madden

1 comment:

  1. uhhhhh, so geoffrey geoffrey was just ahead of his time? lolololol

    ReplyDelete