Thursday, October 18, 2012

Ma Kai

For several years now, Marination Mobile has been making a name for itself on the Seattle food truck scene.  I first tried it at the Mobile Chow Down Part 2. For a long time, I was afraid of their SPAM slider but a soon saw the error of my ways when they opened the non-mobile Marination Station. 
And now Marination has arrived in West Seattle with Marination Ma Kai. It's right on Alki where the water taxi lands and you can rent yourself a stand up paddle board or a kayak. Marination Ma Kai brings everything you can get from the truck and some new options as well, including breakfast items and shave ice (I looked it up, it's shave ice, not shaved so this is not just a typo/my typical grammar fail). 
Never one to pass up a SPAM slider JP and I made sure to hit the place up on its sunny opening weekend. 
First off, I appreciate spelling out exactly what Ma Kai means right off the bat.  Thank you for answering my question before I even had a chance to ask. 
Second, on this beautiful sunny Saturday, you realize what an amazing location they have which includes a beautiful view of downtown Seattle and plenty of indoor and outdoor seating (which is missing from Marination Station).
Ordering seemed to take a little while because the people ahead of us were Marination rookies, asking a lot of questions about what was what and specialty orders for the kids they had in tow. Despite this extra time, I was patient because first, welcome to the Marination fan club, second even if you order tacos without the jalapenos, kudos for exposing your kid to this, third it was nowhere near as long as we waited at the Mobile Chow Down.
 
I was tempted by the kimchi fried rice but I could not resist the power of the SPAM slider and I didn’t think I could really take on both since I had a cupcake for breakfast and I would later have queso and guacamole for dinner (it was a fat kid weekend, what do you want from me?!). So I got an Aloha (kalua pork) and SPAM slider. JP got three tacos, one kalbi beef, miso ginger chicken and spicy pork and one Aloha slider for him too. 
I’m very happy to report that everything that made me fall in love with Marination has easily crossed Elliot Bay to West Seattle. With these great island flavors, sweet location and shave ice this summer, I don’t think that we will see short wait times for very much longer. 



 Violet in my customized Duck Nike ID sneakers

No comments:

Post a Comment