Monday, August 23, 2010

On Birthdays. by violet

I have recently developed complicated feelings about birthdays. I used to love my birthday.

I remember sun soaked pool parties with silly relay races. I remember Barbie birthday cakes and frilly party dresses. Then it was sleepovers, co-ed outdoor BBQs and large groups of you and your friends stuffed into a booth at Chili’s. Finally moving on to that rite of passage, the 21er.

Then you actually start to dread getting a year older rather than being pumped about the prospect. Remember how excited you were to turn 10?

I didn’t really want to make a big deal out of my birthday this year. I was planning a nice night out with J.P. and leaving it at that. In fact, I even told work I would attend a conference on the actual night of my birthday. But it seems that fate had other plans. My friends couldn’t resist planning a group outing to Barrio. And with J.P.’s parents in town the day after, another dinner was planned as well.

As has been established here, the P’s are lovers of good food and wine, so I carefully selected Sitka and Spruce in the Melrose Market.


I’m pretty much in love with the Melrose Market. Sitka and Spruce occupies the corner of the market and features fresh foods.


Here’s what we had

Mezze of mechouia, sada and baba ghanouj with flatbread


Smoked mussels with lobster mushrooms, cucumber and fennel


Confit of duck with peaches and fried shisito pepper

I missed that one but I thought this was pretty

Chanterelles and Juan de Fuca spot prawns with fino sherry


Billy’s tomatoes, Puget Sound smelt and sheep milk feta


Whey braised goat with grilled escarole and our yogurt


Local Albacore with salted summer squash, melon and purslane


The goat was my favorite, although the duck confit with peaches and peppers was a surprisingly delicious combination and the sauce that came with the chanterelles and spot prawns required extra bread just to mop it up.

Our waiter was charming and helpful and really helped to make the night special. 

In the end it turned out to be a wonderful birthday, even if it didn’t turn out the way that I planned.

Violet in Jessica Simpson Cody, brown, leather flats with brass toe buckle

No comments:

Post a Comment