Monday, July 18, 2011

Black Holes. by violet

There are certain planning events in adulthood that I’m discovering are black holes. Events that happen in many people’s lives that seem to take over every waking thought - buying a house, having a baby.

I quickly discovered that planning a wedding is going to be much the same way. However, at more than a year out that is going to come and go in waves until it gets a bit closer.

Then I, myself, came face to face with another black hole - buying a car. That’s where I’ve been these last weeks, at dealership after dealership talking to sales person after sales person. Scouring autotrader.com and Kelly Blue Book and taking advice from just about every person I know.

My head is spinning with information – miles per gallon, air bags, cup holders, 1.8 liter, 2.4 liter, cost of ownership, front wheel drive, sport shifter, ABS, ESC, hatchback it’s enough to make you go cross-eyed.

JP and I have been out there test driving cars for two weeks now. And while we are a little bit closer to picking a car, it’s hard not to feel discouraged, overwhelmed and stressed out by the whole thing.

The whole test driving thing is all well and good until you try and leave the lot. They just keep talking and telling you all kinds of things to keep you there, what can I do to earn your business? I’ll work with you on price. Have you met my finance guy? Let me show you another car.

Sir, we told you up front that we were not going to buy a car today. I would love it if you could work with me on price, if you could get that totally awesome car that’s thousands upon thousands over our budget into our range, I would buy it. But you are not so stop acting like it. Second, we told we are not financing the car so why would we need to meet your finance guy? We don’t. And please for the love of god, don’t show me another car. I’m tired; I haven’t eaten in hours and it’s simultaneously raining and a hot in your parking lot. I’d really just like to leave now. No, I don’t want a Kia.

I’m not faulting these guys for trying to earn a living. No shame in the game. But I have to tell you, the people we are most likely to work after visiting quite a number of places now, did not try and spin us that way.

I knew that this was going to be a tough process but I think I under estimated just how much. What I am learning is a life lesson that I seem to keep learning over and over again. That the first and hardest part is figuring out what you want. Then after that you fight like hell to get.

Because that’s the thing they don’t tell you about black holes in science class, the only way out is through.

Violet in Seychelles Password, Gold

1 comment:

  1. Car down! Now you only have wedding planning... only... haha

    ReplyDelete