Thursday, October 15, 2009

Queso. by violet

I love cheese – unabashedly and passionately. I’m not a cheese snob either – sure I love feta, gouda and chevre (drooling already) but I also love American, string, Velveeta and one of my favorite cheese products of all time – queso.

Queso is an amazing cheese product. I’m pretty sure that it’s all fat and chemicals however I do not (DO NOT!) care. It’s warm, gooey and is best served with tortilla chips and shoveled into your mouth along with a margarita or two.

By far my favorite in Seattle is served at Z Tejas. The ‘Jas, as I like to call it, is a chain Tex Mex restaurant near where I work in Bellevue. For me, the Tejas Trio, which offers queso, guacamole and salsa on one plate, is the best around. Even if you didn’t get the guac and salsa, the cheese is an amazing creamy consistency with just enough spice. This queso has ruined my dinner too many times to count.

Another good queso offering in Seattle is Sonrisa in University Village. It’s got the right amount of heat to it and a great cheesy texture. However, if you aren’t fast enough it will return to hard cheese form at the bottom which might be heartening to since it means that there is actual cheese in it. Points also taken off because even though Sonrisa makes amazing tortilla chips for some reason they serve the queso with straight up tortillas.

I am not alone in my love for queso. My friend and co-worker Cathy appreciates queso and all kinds of Mexican food. There’s a new place in Lower Queen Anne call Laredos and Cathy invited be out to sample the two kinds of queso that they offer.


The happy hour at Laredos is a screaming hot deal. Cathy and I managed to get our order in before it ended at 6:00 p.m. – half price apps and $4 margaritas. We started with the chili con queso and a chicken quesadilla. The chili con queso was not what I expected at all. First, there wasn’t a lot of chili to it and the queso part was more like cream cheese or sour cream. But it was delicious. Bonus points for the chips too – warm, thin and just the right amount of salt.



Our second round of food was the more traditional queso – Queso Flameado and a Guerro steak salad. I was not a fan of the second round of queso. It tasted pretty much like melted, shredded Kraft cheese in a skillet. Don’t get me wrong, I still ate a lot of it.


Overall, I would totally head back to Laredos, happy hour was a great deal and it was a lovely place to chill out.

What do you think team, know any good Seattle queso that I’m missing?

No comments:

Post a Comment